What is a model organism?
These are organisms on whom much data is already collected and thus their biological processes can be easily described. They are also simple in structure and features.
Used in research because:
1. They are readily available
2. develop rapidly and have short life spans/cycles
3. have a small (physical) adult size (housing them is made easier)
4. easy to manage groups of them.
Used in teaching because:
1. studying many problems in specific organisms is convenient
2. scientific concepts are more easily visualized by students in using a model
3. these organisms can respon quickly to changes in the environment